Friday, January 01, 2010

Adventures in present wrapping....

I have no idea why I thought it was a good idea to save wrapping all the presents for our family Christmas weekend until the morning we were supposed to leave for my mom's. But....I did, in fact, I promised I would....

And I don't know why I didn't think about the fact that if one of the kids helps the other helps. Or why I thought the help of either of them would be truely 'helpful'.

So, I started by pulling out all the gifts we had left to wrap....let the fighting begin as I picked one roll of paper over the other. Then I tried to let JJ help by tearing off tape for me.....which of course resorted in a 2 foot long twisted piece of tape of which I was able to salvedge about 2 inches. And he got upset because he thought I was upset, when really I just wanted him to stop pulling the tape out so I could show him a better way to do it. They have to learn somehow....

So, once we had an understanding about how to do the tape, and gave Cari a job, so she wasn't trying to pull the tape out like a mad child, we got going on the packages. I had the first present wrapped, when Cari, now aptly nicknamed 'disaster girl' was climbing on me and fell on said package, tearing open the just wrapped package and ripping the paper beyond repair. So, we started over. That happened 3 times, before I banned her from the room, to 3 different packages. The 3rd one I was able to repair the paper enough to use it. She was busy in the other room and we made some headway for a couple of minutes, but then she came back...and JJ was not mastering the tape as we had both hoped he would. He so desperately wanted to help and do it 'right' but it was just not working well. I finally decided I would tear off the tape for him, and he could put it on the package.....that worked a bit better....but over all, it took about 2 hours to wrap all the presents....after which I still had to pack my clothes, and clothes for both of the kids for our 2 day stay at Grandmas house, as well as sleeping gear, toiletries and medicines. Then finally I got a shower.....we finally got on the road (to McDonalds for lunch before we REALLY got on the road) at 1:30.....I was hoping to be well on our way by then.

Did I learn my lesson? Maybe....will I let them help again next year? Probably....after all, they will be a year older right.... ;oD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home