Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's party

I got to spend the day today with JJ's preschool class helping with their Valentine's party. Being a working mom is rough when it comes to stuff like that, as I feel like I am missing out. But I made a promise to myself that I would help with a party, and go on a field trip with him and so, I made good on part of that promise last week, and the other half will be next week.

It was so much fun to see him with his friends, and interacting with the kids, and all that. Although it doesn't really seem like he does interact a lot. He kind of does his own thing a little bit, but along side some of the other kids. He does play and interact some, but when it comes down to it, he would rather give way to someone else than stand up for himself, or tell someone that they took something of his, etc. That bothers me a bit, but I am not sure how to help him with that.

Point in case, he made a picture for me in the 'office' play area while I was there, and then put it in the mail box, and wanted me to come over to see it. I was helping kids with a project and was in the middle of painting with one of the other kids, so I wasn't able to go over and see what he had made. At some point, one of the other kids took his picture out, and put theirs in. The look on his little face was so sad. ;o( I was disappointed in myself that I hadn't taken 30 seconds to go over and see it. I told him to try asking some of his friends, and he did sort of. But he was standing there next to me, trying so hard not to cry, but that picture was obviously important to him. It broke my heart. A couple of the other kids helped him look for it, which I thought was nice, but they never did find it. We went back to look for it after the class was over, even though he was convinced that one of the other boys had put it in HIS pocket. Once he actually had time to tell me exactly what it looked like, I found it in 10 seconds flat! He was so happy! I think it had made his day. Thankfully I don't think that the picture fiasco caused him to not enjoy the rest of the party. He was excited to pass out his valentine's and to have ice cream sundaes.

Not sure whose idea it was to serve 4 and 5 year olds ice cream sundaes, sugar cookies with half an inch of frosting, M&Ms, Smartees, and marshmallow hearts, plus red kool-aid, at 11:30, but I am quite sure it was someone who KNEW they weren't going to have to see these kids again until Wednesday of the following week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home